Guinness Brown Bread
A dark brown bread with a distinctive taste.
Write a review
- 450g/1lb Odlums Coarse Wholemeal
- 2 level teaspoons Bread Soda
- 25g/1oz Odlums Pinhead Oatmeal
- 4 tablespoons Shamrock Demerara Sugar
- 100g packet Shamrock Chopped Walnuts (optional)
- 50g/2oz Margarine
- 1 tablespoon Treacle
- 400ml Guinness
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Lightly grease a 2lb loaf tin.
- Put margarine and treacle into a saucepan over a low heat and allow the margarine to melt.
- Meanwhile, put the Wholemeal, pinhead, sugar and chopped walnuts into a bowl. Sieve in the bread soda and mix well.
- When the margarine has melted, add the Guinness and stir.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix well. Transfer mixture to prepared tin and bake for about 40 to 50 minutes until risen and when tapped underneath has a hollow sound..
- Wrap in a clean tea towel and allow to cool.
National Bread Week Ireland http://www.nationalbreadweek.ie/