Strawberry Almond French Toast
Recipe supplied by Johnston Mooney and O'Brien
Write a review
- 200g strawberries, stems removed
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour, mixed with 1 tsp water
- 4 eggs
- 300ml milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 100g flaked almonds
- Butter, to cook
- 8 x slices of Johnston, Mooney and O’Brien Toastie pan
- Combine the strawberries, orange zest, half of the vanilla and half of the sugar in a saucepan over a medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes until the strawberries are juicy.
- Whisk in the cornflour mixture and simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes until thick.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, cinnamon and remaining sugar and vanilla in a bowl.
- Pour into a baking dish. Place the almonds
- on a plate.
- Melt some butter in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Dip a slice of bread into the egg mixture and turn to coat so both sides are saturated.
- Let the excess mixture drip off the bread and dip each side into the almonds to coat.
- Place the bread into the frying pan.
- Cook for three minutes on each side until brown and crisp. Repeat with the remaining bread slices.
- Serve immediately with the warm strawberry sauce.
- Nutritional Analysis Per Serving 365kcals, 21.1g fat (4.7g saturated), 31.2g carbs, 15.8g sugars, 15.2g protein, 7.7g fibre, 0.23g sodium
National Bread Week Ireland http://www.nationalbreadweek.ie/