Savoury Cheese & Kale Bread Pudding
Write a review
- 250g kale
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 7 slices thick sliced white batch bread
- 50g butter, softened
- 100g Irish Cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 medium eggs
- 300ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 200oC, gas mark 6. Grease a 2 litre shallow ovenproof serving dish.
- Cook the kale in boiling water for 4 minutes, drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and leek for 4-5 minutes, stir in the kale and season. Sprinkle half this mix into the prepared dish.
- Spread the bread with the butter and cut in half. Overlap the bread in the dish, scattering with the remaining leek mix and half the cheese.
- Whisk the eggs into the milk, season and pour over the bread, sprinkle over the remaining cheese and leave to soak for 5 minutes.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden.
- Try adding shredded ham with the vegetables for a meat option.
National Bread Week Ireland http://www.nationalbreadweek.ie/